1977 Half-Nelson Table Lamp by George Nelson for Koch and Lowy in Brass
This is an uncommonly seen “Half-Nelson” reflector table lamp, designed by George Nelson and manufactured by Koch & Lowy in the late 1970’s. This design was initially created ca. 1949-1950, but the silhouette wasn’t reproduced until 1977 when Nelson and Lowy collaborated in the production of a handful of designs. It was really a “capsule collection” before the term was coined.
The lamp features a weighted brass cylindrical base with a concealed light source, and has an adjustable reflective metal shade that allows directional light. The shade is able to be positioned in a vertical or a horizontal position.
The lamp stands 18 1/2” with a diameter of 15” when the shade is positioned vertically. The cylindrical base measures 4 1/2” in diameter. The lamp is in very good condition, with slight scratches to surface. Please see photos. The brass finish has developed a warm patina over time that only adds to the charm of this important piece.